Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Did God Make...


To Church or Not to Church? is a question I've been asking myself for a while.  It seems like the thing to do, yet here it is, another Sunday morning and the kids are happily playing, my husband is doing yard work, and I am enjoying (really enjoying) a cup of coffee and writing.  I often think the church dilemma would be solved more easily if services occurred on rainy Tuesday evenings and included dinner.

That being said, I am very aware that the age of four is a time when a child's world view is being created.  Big questions are asked, connections are being made.  Understandings are no longer being taken as told, they are being expanded based on all of the input the child experiences.  As a parent I am able to create an environment that includes God and the goodness He embodies.

While not currently doing this through Sunday services God is subtly integrated into our experience, mostly through picture books.  Recently we have been reading the book Dog Heaven.  I have a friend whose dog has recently passed, and our dog is getting older and showing it.  Dog Heaven is a sweet book about the wonderful place that God has ready for our furry friends.  As we read in the evenings, questions arise..."Where is Heaven?"  "Who made Dogs? and most notably, "Did God make shoes?"

Yes Dear, God even made shoes.

Hmmm...maybe next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment